Tuesday, October 26, 2010

I just can't let it go

Something happened today that actually made me angry. In fact, my jaw muscles are still clenched thinking about it now. I don't get angry very often. I get frustrated. I get overwhelmed. I get flabbergasted. But I don't really get angry. Angry for me means I want to lock myself in a room and throw things. Of course, I've never done that. But that's what it's like in my head at that moment. Anyway, I'm having trouble letting it go. I'm just so mad. I want to stomp my feet. I want to scream. And then I want to kick myself because I could have prevented the problem a week ago and didn't. Yes, I blame myself.

All that said, lots of good things happened today. So here's today's list of things I'm happy about.

1. I went to a forum tonight for local candidates. I felt like a nerd for spending two hours of my time there, but I take voting very seriously. I want to be informed. Truth is, I laughed more during the forum than I do while watching TV. It didn't hurt that two of our reporters were there to help keep me entertained. I definitely found some candidates I like and some I don't. But it made me happy to see them in person and really try to pay attention to what they were saying.

2. I started my day amused and I'm ending it amused. I may have mentioned this before, but I'm easily amused. It's usually something witty someone said. That's really all it takes to make me smile or smirk. It's those little things that make the day more interesting.

3. This is really going to make me sound like a loser, but oh well. And I hope the people affected by this don't mind being part of the plan. I decided recently that I'm going to try to go to lunch once a week with someone who doesn't work at the StarNews. Three weeks so far and I made plans today for next week. I swear it's not as calculated as it sounds. It's just that part of my journey is going outside the box. Plus, the people I've chosen so far are important to my job. And it turns out it's fun to not work straight through lunch every day and to talk to people about other stuff, including what's important to them. So I'm happy to be focused on new people.

4. I was really happy this morning when I was trying to decide what to wear to work. I have a vest that I used to love. Of course, I haven't been able to wear it for about 10 years. I can't even believe I still own it. When I first started losing weight, I tried it on every couple of weeks. Too small. Then I went about two months without trying it on. For some reason, I put it on this morning. Too big. That felt so amazing. It was the one piece of clothing from way back that used to fit but didn't now. IT'S TOO BIG! Yes, I'm happy.

5. I asked one of my reporters for advice today and ended up with a solution to two problems. I'm happy that I trusted the person and I really feel like I got a different perspective on things. Maybe I should talk to the reporters more. Haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment