Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The wheels are turning

So several things have happened this week that have really got the wheels in my brain turning. I have so many things to think about that I don't know where to begin. Honestly, my brain is overloaded. And, interestingly, most of it's not bad stuff. It's just stuff. And it's new stuff. I know, I'm babbling. That's what it's like in my head right now. The neurons all seem to be firing at once. Maybe it's just too much caffeine.

The really good news is that I've stayed on track with my eating since last Friday. I haven't exercised as much as I should, but I've done better than normal. So that's good. And when I did a pre-weigh-in tonight, the results were good -- 1.4 pounds lost since last week. Let's hope the scale says the same thing on Friday morning ... or something even better. I'm so close to the 75 pounds lost mark. As of tonight, I'm at 73 pounds. Wow. Wow. Wow. When it comes to the big picture, I have a lot to be happy about.

I'm also starting to notice a few patterns now that I've been writing down my list for more than a week. Common themes include people who make me laugh, doing more physical activity, meeting new people, successes at work and losing weight. Yeah, those are pretty much the things that make me happy right now. Sounds pretty easy when you look at that list.

Here's my specific list for today.

1. For the first time in quite a few weeks, I dragged myself out of bed early enough this morning to walk before work. I've been so full of energy all day. I walked 1.8 miles, but could have done more if I had more time. I've been in a good mood all day and I think it's because of the walking.

2. For those not in journalism, this probably won't mean a lot. But it really made me happy. We had a designer at work put together advance layouts for Tuesday and Wednesday next week (Election Day and the day after). He's really fantastic. You give him vague instructions and he creates something wonderful. I'm so excited now for Election Day just because I know the papers are going to be so good.

3. I did one more thing to learn more about my community and to try to understand the people we cover in the newspaper. I attended a summit of downtown business/community leaders. The event wasn't all that exciting. But I did get three story ideas and sat next to an excellent backseat commentator who kept me laughing the whole time. Have I mentioned that people who make me laugh also make me happy?

4. Weight loss seems to be going well this week. See my comments above for the specifics. But I am happy to see results. I can only hope I see them on Friday morning for my official weigh-in.

5. I wrote a note on my brother's facebook wall and he actually replied. For those who don't know, he's almost 21. We don't communicate much. The only way I know what he's doing is facebook. And I think it's just sort of understood that his 37-year-old, uncool sister won't be commenting on his posts. I was really beyond happy. He might even make time to visit with me when I go home to Richmond this weekend. That would be so amazing.

1 comment:

  1. I heartily endorse your happy-makers, and share most of them. I have a bunch of others too, many weather-related, but those are the biggies.

    My brothers are much older than yours (and you too) and I don't communicate much with them either. I unfriended one of them because our politics are diametrically opposed and he insisted on making very critical comments on my page. I didn't do that to him and wasn't going to allow him to do it to me. The other one is very busy and just emails or posts kid pictures and that's pretty much the whole conversation most of the time.

    I do, however, have a number of people in that age group, most of whom I've known since they were born, in my FB crowd. I don't stalk them or expect to hear much directly from them, but I do comment on their pages from time to time. Probably half the time I'm teasing them (or myself as related to whatever they've posted) but none of them minds since it's occasional and they have a good sense of humor. And they know it's all in fun and love.

    ReplyDelete