Saturday, July 9, 2011

A message from my dad

I suppose it's only natural that when a loved one passes, you find yourself thinking about the person at odd times. This happened to me today.

For almost two months, I've pretty much been living out of a suitcase. In early May, I made a trip to Richmond to celebrate my birthday with my family. Then, just a few weeks later, my dad passed away. I had never unpacked everything from before.

Anyway, two more trips to Richmond later and I finally decided to unpack this afternoon. In one of the zipper pockets, I found the birthday cards from my family. Of course, seeing the one from my dad was a little emotional.

But it's also inspirational. The message inside says: "Nothing could have prepared me for the joy of seeing you come into your own. From the beginning, you had a quiet strength and determined spirit about you. But seeing those qualities revealed fully in the beautiful woman you've become is more rewarding than I could have ever imagined. You're everything a parent could hope for in a daughter. How lucky I am to call you mine."

It's been a difficult day, with my emotions all over the place. But strength and determination are definitely characteristics I embody. And I think seeing my dad's card today is just what I needed to remind me how far I've come and that I am strong enough and determined enough to achieve my goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment