Sunday, July 17, 2011

A new attitude

It's been one week since I decided I couldn't continue down the path I was on. And I honestly don't remember the last time I felt this good physically and mentally.

I haven't been perfect in my eating (I had a big splurge at dinner last night), but I've done better. And I've tried not to let a slip here and there get me down. Instead, I just start over the next day. That's exactly what I'm doing today.

I've already planned what I'm going to eat today and I'm working on the rest of the week. Having a plan really helps. If I know I'm going to get a snack in 30 minutes, I can usually wait and won't be tempted to just grab something off the counter.

The best part about this past week, though, has been how I feel mentally. My attitude has been much better and I haven't let little things stress me out. For months, I've felt like there was some sort of weight on my shoulders. It even goes back to before my dad passed away. I've written before about the rational versus irrational parts of my brain. The rational part seems completely in control these days and I'm thankful for that.

I keep thinking about how good I felt this time last summer. I had just started walking as part of my weight loss effort. I think the activity really helped with my mood. I started back this week and I feel better. But I also know that eating bad foods also doesn't help. So I don't know why I do it.

Anyway, I'm happy today because even though I may not be entirely on track, my attitude is better, which means my eating will get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment