Thursday, January 20, 2011

My "duh" moment

Today it was as if I woke up for the first time in weeks and I could see everything so clearly. The funny part is that most of what I've come to realize, other people have been telling me for weeks. Apparently, eating poorly and not exercising makes me moody. Duh!

I suppose I could have figured that out before today if I really wanted to. And I'm not sure why the light bulb went off when it did. But I sure am glad it did.

Earlier this week, I felt a serious depression coming on. I was doing everything in my power to stop it. Thanks to advice from quite a few friends, I now see that the foods I've been eating and the lack of exercise have contributed to my funk. So Tuesday night I resolved to do something about it.

Wednesday went fairly well. I resisted all sorts of sugary snacks at work. I walked after work and ate a healthy dinner. By Wednesday night, I could feel my mood changing, but I wasn't quite there yet. By this morning, however, I felt like myself again. And I really stayed on track today with my eating. Once again, resisting temptations at the office. I exercised a little before work and then walked 3 miles after work.

I feel fabulous. I got to thinking about the string of weeks this summer when I was the happiest. I was eating right (with a few splurges here and there) and walking almost daily. But I also was focused. I knew what my goal was. I feel like I've taken my eye off the ball the past couple of months. I've been wrapped up in personal and professional drama. No more.

Losing weight and getting fit are so important to me. But success requires focus. I've proven time and again that when I set my mind to something I achieve it. Losing 10 pounds before April 1 is what I want. And there's no reason I can't achieve that goal. That said, don't be surprised if I start to seem a little obsessed with it. Those who know me best, know that's how I operate. A laser-sharp focus and hard work always result in improvement. I do not intend to drop this ball!

No comments:

Post a Comment